Saturday, October 24, 2009

My 'eye-opening' experience with Healthcare

So if you hadn't heard.. I recently had a chalazion (sounds terrible, I know... but an infected one is called a hordoleum)... but all it is a clogged sebaceous gland in the eyelid, and as a result, you get a raised bump that was about half the size of a dime. Google it, you'll find much more disgusting pictures than the one I had.

When I found out I had it, Heather WebMD'd it and found out that I should put a warm compress on it, and if it doesn't go away, go see a doctor.... I did this.... and it didn't go away. I went to the ASU health clinic and waited 4o minutes to hear the doctor tell me exactly what Heather told me... except to see an ophthalmologist instead. That was $10. Ok..

So I warm compress it for 10 more days and it doesn't go away...(by the way, warm compressing your eye really makes you pretty worthless, as you can't really do anything except lay down or watch TV). I went to the ophthalmologist and after a 20 minute wait, I was told that I had a chalazion (I already knew this) and that I would need to come back to have outpatient surgery. Again, nothing new that I already did not know. That was $35.

I wait another week to finally go in to have it lopped off... after some numbing of the eyeball and some anesthetic dropped into the eyes, he 'pinched' it off (there was some pain) and told me to keep some gauze on it for 5 minutes and would be back.... 40 minutes later he shows up to tell me all is good and that I could leave, since the damn office was closing up and locking doors anyway. He totally forgot I was there. That was another $35. Add a $5 prescription onto that, and I can't figure out if the time or $ was the big loss in this endeavor.

1 comment:

JoeP said...

Riley,

You should just come back to Utah. The healthcare here is lightyears beyond anywhere else I would want to live.

For example:

Dec. 27, 2008 - Joe f*%$s up his knee skiing

Dec. 28, 2008 - Jan. 6th, 2009 - Joe hobbles around, thinking, 'oh, this pain will go away.'

***Pain Does NOT Go Away***

Jan. 7th, 2009 - I go visit my knee doctor (finally) and he tells me that he's pretty sure I tore my MCL. He could do an MRI ($1800.00 - before insurance) to be positive, and then go in surgically.....or, he said he could get me in for surgery on Monday, Jan. 12th. I opted for the surgery. $1938.00 later (my insurance requires I pay the first $2K of costs out of pocket) my knee is fixed and I'm back on my skis. He scoped my knee and put me through three weeks of intensive physical therapy.

Wait a tick, healthcare in general is a crock...just like the 'captcha' I'm going to have to fill out to post this comment. Loves, Joe P